- Medical School Curriculum project giving future physicians and dentists assistance in recognizing, managing and preventing alcohol/drug and nicotine related problems.
- Lead role in coordination of substance abuse Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) initiatives in NC.
- Statewide training and technical assistance for safer opioid prescribing.
- Annual regional Addiction Medicine Conference.
- Hundreds of physicians, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners trained and supported to identify and intervene with patients with substance use issues.
Evidence-based practices, programs, and policies
- Coordinating role in statewide adoption of substance abuse and mental health evidence-based practices, programs, and policies.
- Worked with community partners, NC Department of Transportation Division of Motor Vehicles and NC Department of Crime Control & Public Safety to develop and implement a color-coded Driver’s License and ID Card System and Red Flag Campaign to assist retailers in the sale of age restricted products.
- Advocacy to repeal “Alcohol Exclusion Law” (repealed 2005).
- Robust behavioral health workforce development for more than 10 years working with students, community colleges and universities through training, skill building, and a scholarship program.
- Governor’s Institute named in NC Institute of Medicine’s 2009 Substance Abuse Task Force to take a lead role in increasing and improving the workforce.
- Created a scholarship/internship for NCSU students in the Non-Profit Management minor interested in substance abuse prevention, treatment and research.
Military servicemembers, veterans, and their families
- Coordination of behavioral health initiatives for military servicemembers, veterans, and their families
- Grant-writing assistance to community organizations serving homeless veterans that subsequently received more than $28 million in a two-year period (2009 and 2010)